lf1

Reply To: Hi – I'm a sociopath.

Madelaine
Participant

I know this is a really strange question. “Me”, is your real name “Michael” and are you in your early 30’s? You don’t have to answer this, but you sound exactly like someone I know and I respect a lot. The Michael I know has a lot of really good qualities (humor and a tremendous ability to analyze what is really going on re power plays and motives, and translate this to bamboozled people like me). The person I know as Michael has had lots of diagnoses (which never really fit the clinical picture) including ADHD and Aspergers. I always suspected ASPD, but didn’t want to pry.

Even if you are not the “Michael” I know, I acknowledge that people with “crossed neural wiring” (my term) have a lot of potential goodness in them. I also acknowledge that the people who interact with sociopaths (especially vulnerable people) need to keep their guards up. Needing to keep up boundaries with sociopaths does not mean we cannot value them or appreciate the good things they can do. I learned a lot from Michael, but it was a matter of “trust but verify” (am I channeling Ronald Regaon?)