lf1

Reply To: Hi – I'm a sociopath.

Me
Participant

Sociopaths aren’t inherently bad people.
Chances are, you are friends and/or acquaintances with quite a lot more sociopaths than you realise. The statistic is about 1 in every 20.
Now picture personal friends, work colleagues, roommates, family friends, etc, counting up to 20, then repeating.
How many times did you reach 20?
Shouldn’t you be experiencing a lot more sociopaths in your life than the current amount?
What if it’s because being a sociopath does not mean you have a predisposition to be a bad person? Sure, I wouldn’t doubt for a second that if someone were inclined to what the majority would look down upon, being a sociopath or psychopath would boost what they do.
What I’m saying is – just because someone is a sociopath, does not mean they are the scheming, manipulative, dead-inside criminal that every movie or game or film or news article or youtube video or book makes them out to be.
I mean, I’m not perfect. When I was younger, I used to set fire to bins in the night for entertainment, but I’ve never caused anyone emotional harm, set some conniving plot in motion, exploited anyone for sex, etc. I do quite a bit of manipulation on a daily basis, but it’s mostly just to get people off my back, to see how people react to situations, or just to probe how I convey information to other people because I’m usually bored at the time.

Sociopaths can have a meaningful relationship
Be that with a friend, partner, colleague, a sociopath can have real friends, or a relationship. Yes, it seems to be harder than neurotypicals, but I have friends who I like to hang out with. Being a sociopath doesn’t strip me of a sense of humor, of a want to belong or be liked, of an appreciation for intellectual debate. I get value out of my friends, but when I need to do some manipulation on any of them, I don’t feel guilty at all.