Dr. Farid Fata scammed Medicare, treating people for cancer they didn’t have

Dr. Farid Fatah

Dr. Farid Fatah

Dr. Farid Fata, an oncologist from Oakland Township, Michigan, pleaded guilty in September 2014 to 16 federal counts, including filing fraudulent Medicare claims totaling more than $17 million.

He diagnosed cancer in many patients who did not have it and ordered unnecessary chemotherapy and other cancer treatments. So far, more than 550 victims have been identified. Fata is accused of ordering at least 9,000 unnecessary cancer treatment infusions.

A sentencing hearing is scheduled for July 6, 2015. Fata faces up to 175 years in prison and a $250,000 fine for health care fraud, and up to 20 years and $500,000 in fines for money laundering.

Sentencing for cancer doctor delayed, on DetroitNews.com.

Impact statement excerpts released for victims of unnecessary treatment by Dr. Farid Fata, on ClickOnDetroit.com.

Whistle-blower: How doctor uncovered nightmare, on DetroitNews.com.

Story suggested by a Lovefraud reader.

8 Comments on "Dr. Farid Fata scammed Medicare, treating people for cancer they didn’t have"

1. slimone says:

As a hospice nurse, and current cancer patient, this hits really close to home. If anyone put me through chemotherapy, without my actually needing it, I would want to strangle them. Really. It is so hard to go through, and has a lot of risks associated with it (like developing other cancers).

I hope this guy burns.

The fact that he diagnosed his pt’s with non-tumor types of cancer, that are generally ‘life long’, was a huge red flag. I bet his percentage of these types of cancer were unusually high for his clinics.

This really disgusts me. I feel so incredibly sorry for the people who went through these debilitating chemotherapies and diagnostics.

Maybe he should be on chemo for the rest of his life, as a just punishment.

2. NotWhatHeSaidofMe says:

I feel angry that Dr Fata was accused of intentionally misdiagnosing patients and of Medicare fraud. This allows Dr Fata to get away with what he was REALLY doing, pre-meditated murder and attempted murder.

Dr Fata KNEW the consequences of his behavior on the well-being and NOT well-being of patients that HE manipulated into taking extremely dangerous TOXINS. Because chemo is a TOXIN, and people may not die right away, but the chemo cures AND causes illness. That means, for those who did not have cancer, there was no “cure” and they have been dosed with TOXINS.

To me, I am glad he’s been stopped, but this isn’t justice. He got away with murder.

3. Rosanne says:

No matter what any doctor tells us that is wrong with us we must get a second or even third opinion.

4. Jan7 says:

Doctor is sentences to only 45 years. It would have been better for him to be sentenced to 100 years so he could sit in his jail cell and think about the reality of 100 years.

“ Michigan doctor who admitted to giving his patients “excessive or unnecessary” cancer treatments was sentenced in federal court to 45 years in prison on Friday.

Farid Fata, 50, read a statement before he was sentenced. “I stand before you, so ashamed of my actions,” he said while sobbing, according to various reports. “I misused my talents and allowed greed and power to overtake me.”

In September, Fata pleaded guilty to 13 counts of fraud, two counts of money laundering and one count of conspiracy to pay and receive kickbacks for a $35 million scheme that bilked the government into paying for unneeded treatments, according to court documents.

After Fata asked for mercy, U.S. District Judge Paul Borman sentenced him to 540 months in federal prison.

“This is a huge, horrific series of criminal acts committed by the defendant,” Borman said. “It’s unprecedented.”

The judge also ordered Fata to get drug and alcohol treatment for alcohol and prescription drug abuse.”

• NotWhatHeSaidofMe says:

I’m glad that SOMEONE called him out as a sociopath. Still, he is a MURDERER and attempted MURDERER. His form of assault was poisoning. His weapon was pharmaceuticals, and he used his license to practice medicine on the vulnerable to deliver poison. I am totally mystified why he escaped murder charges.

• Jan7 says:

I think that it’s great that this article calls him a sociopath but I think they are wrong I think he is a cunning evil psychopath. He planned out how he was going to gain more money but scamming their insurance & govt health care plans never thinking or caring that he killed innocent people along the way and left countless others with damaged bodies who are living with out teeth, gum issues, liver, kidney etc because of the long term chemo treatments….issues all because he wanted more money and manipulated people to believe they had cancer when in fact they did not.

This is beyond sick & twisted psychopathic thinking.

So sad for the families who lost their loved ones & for the victims/their families who are suffering long term health issues because of this evil doctor.

I wish that the newspapers & media would explain what a sociopath & psychopath is and how common they are in our society.

5. stronginthecity says:

I say hook him up to triple chemo for 30 days and a month round of radiation.
    SITC