Why I wrote ‘The Muslim Romance Trilogy’

By Juliet Montague

muslim_trilogy
Parts one and two of Juliet Montague’s Muslim love story trilogy.

Part One: THE YEAR I LEARNED TO TEXT —
Why Am I Having Sex with a Muslim in My Basement?

Part Two: JIHAD HONEYMOON IN HOLLYWOOD —
Not Without My Dogs

I had not before kept a detailed diary. Looking back at previous journals, one would simply find a note here and there reflecting a doctor’s appointment, a luncheon date, an audition, a listing appointment, a reminder to call my mother. My realization that I was into something profoundly foreign, intriguing, and sexually awakening, I began documenting each and every phone call, text message, and encounter with my own personal Aladdin.

I had truly never been in love before. Four happy marriages and four easily forgotten divorces, in my sixtieth year—and my fifth year of celibacy—I had signed up to find my soul mate for $29.95 a month on Match.com. And that is where HE found me: a lady twenty-two years his senior; a retired court stenographer now actor, comedian, dog lover, realtor, who lived alone.

My impeccable sensibilities told me No! and I refused to meet Ali for a drink. His initial Match.com love-bombing emails tempted me. He was Persian, a graduate of UCLA, his father a retired military officer still living in Tehran, Iran. Ali was an American citizen, having arrived in America with his mother at the age of seven. His emails continued with reassurance that our relationship need not be just about sex: Couldn’t we at least be friends? We have a lot in common.

Agreed to meet

When I finally agreed to meet, I was particularly bemused by my own self-assurance and gaiety about the entire upcoming experience. At the cinema complex, I waited patiently. The patience dwindled when I realized the movie was about to start. And then he was there, his floppy black hair flipped over a corduroy cream jacket collar. He had me at “Sorry, I’m late,” a recurring Middle Eastern theme. It would be the first and last time he told me he was sorry.

His gentle hand at the small of my back, he lead me into the darkness. And while I innocently took in a movie, buttered popcorn and a coke, he cautiously took me in.

Within the span of a one hour-and-forty-five minute film, during which Clint Eastwood entertained us with his crotchety portrayal of a widow who enjoys popping Pabst Blue Ribbons on his worn porch, Ali gave me signs, clues, and outright warnings as to his personality. He asked for a kiss to calm my nerves to which I silently declined. Dropping my buttered fingers onto his hardened crotch gave me a bit of a shock, but I handled it with the experience of a gal who had said No many times before, long ago in the backseat of parked cars.

Should have walked home

I should have walked home from that first date—I live just three blocks from the cinema—but his BMW with the clean smell of cream leather invited me in. Over a glass of Merlot, Ali shared the cultural highlights of his Islamic upbringing.

Muslim men always pay. I am your husband when I enter your house; I am no longer your husband when I leave. We can be good together for at least five years, when I must marry and have my children.

That evening, I giggled inwardly at his presentation of Life with the Muslim. Clean-shaven and with hairless arms, Ali was adorable. He was light skinned, just tall enough, and stared at me with penetrating black eyes, never taking them away as he titillated my senses with the promise of a harmless Magic Carpet Ride.

I was sixty, wrinkled but attractive, and fifteen pounds overweight. The Homecoming Queen of 1965 sat there smitten as a kitten with a fresh ball of fuzzy yarn to play with. I hadn’t enjoyed this much schmoozing over my vulnerable insignificance since husband no. 4 tried to run me off the road.

I had no idea I was about to break my own heart.

The Muslim Romance Trilogy

Why did I write The Muslim Romance Trilogy? Written from the gut, in the dark, and when no one was watching, I was destined to tell the story of the obscure emotional and sexual bonding with a sociopath that had crippled me, drove me away from my children, friends, and family, and robbed me of six years of my life.  Devastating depression found me turning the pages of my journals to share in a humorous and shamelessly intimate manner the lies, the manipulation, and the wondrous moments of a chemically and spiritual sexual connection, which left me questioning my own sanity.

I was typing out a warning to the women of the world along with a puzzling question to be answered: was my lover’s charming, emotionless, non-empathetic demeanor the result of his sociopathy or of his Muslim upbringing? In both Part One and Part Two I explore extensively this topic.

Excerpt from Press Release: Part One:

THE YEAR I LEARNED TO TEXT — Why Am I Having Sex with a Muslim in My Basement?

The story is set during the reign of America’s first black president and the continuation of the War on Terror, post 9/11. During this transitional period in society, a post-menopausal conservative comedian/actress/realtor, living alone in her Hollywood Bungalow is suddenly absorbed in a personal changeover. When a Persian Muslim man, twenty-two years her junior, on his own journey of faith, magically enters her life, she grapples with fear, impropriety, and prejudice. Ultimately it is the inescapable and unexplainable physical chemistry of love that disrupts her orderly life and changes her forever.

Sociopaths are like bowling balls, no matter how many times you throw them down the alley, they somehow magically return.

Thus, after a tearful, drunken thirteen months of the requisite no contact and the completion of Part One of The Muslim Romance Trilogy, Ali returned to give me:

Part Two: JIHAD HONEYMOON IN HOLLYWOOD — Not Without My Dogs.

Now deeper into his extremist view of Islam and his whimsical personality disorder heightened, he insisted that we must be married in order to be intimate. The ceremony was quick, to the point, and performed on my living room loveseat; my two male dogs as the witnesses.

“God comes first in my life. I am a different person now. Can you understand that?” His scent has calmed from that of a sweating riveter pounding out concrete in the street to the sweet smell reminiscent of naked lovers twisted in the moistness of cotton sheets, their chests glued together by their own perspiration in an August midafternoon madness.

“Of course,” I answered as I rested my head on his shoulder and reached my arm across his tummy. And that’s when I noticed the tic.

“Do you really think you could handle the fact that someday I do want children and will take another wife?”

“I did a little investigation on this and anonymously called the Vermont mosque today to get some information. I had several conversations with the man who handles the marriage questions there, I suppose. He was a funny man, a kind man, who pretty much wished us well.”

“People at the mosque in such positions are very Americanized. I am not.” He took my hand and spoke, as he always did, softly, “Do you agree to be my wife?”

I am currently writing Part Three of the Trilogy. In my writings I hope to discover that there is an end to the madness and that success is truly the best revenge.

Posted in: Book reviews

13 Comments on "Why I wrote ‘The Muslim Romance Trilogy’"

1. I am always amazed at the things we get ourselves into because of sociopaths. They have this way of seducing us into doing things that we would never do, and we have no idea how it happened.

• downwitfakerastas says:

you are so right, I wish I found this site earlier because some of the video’s Donna posts and the stories I read all make sense right now. I know he is out there conning another because I just learned he had a fiance the other day and other women and he is totally taking a retired couple for their money, but they won’t listen to me. They are so entrenched in his lies and charm that denial is set in. I tried one last ditch effort today to warn them and she(retired couple)wants to get his side of the story. I told her it will all be lies. I have proof and she is in deep, as she has known this Jamaican man for 6yrs because he is her nieces ex husband. I came to know them through him. Sociopaths are so convoluted

2. NotWhatHeSaidofMe says:

I’m intrigued. What was it that you “had a lot in common.” ???

3. Stargazer says:

Looking back at the relationships I’ve had with sociopaths and narcissists, I realize they were all unconventional in a way that tested my boundaries and morals. They managed to convince me that non-monogamy and extramarital sex were not only okay but superior to conventional relationships. I swallowed their reality and went along with it for a time. Why? For the promise of love, which I never had much of in my life. This is what disordered people count on and why cults hold so much fascination for the lost and lonely. Probably, the only thing that kept me from getting into a cult when I was younger was not my personal strength but my pride and vanity. I cared about my image and what others thought about me. I still do. It is important for whomever I date to be liked and accepted – even admired – by my social circle. This is probably a weakness on my part, but it’s kept me from running off with some crazy loons who promised me the sun, the moon, and the stars.

Will there be an article for part III? Interesting story.

• Delores says:

I think I married a psychopath because I was afraid of getting into a cult or worse on my own at 18. The psychopath I married seemed so sweet, down to earth, and safe even though I knew he had raped his roommate’s girlfirend. Crazy isn’t it. Then he proved his ownership on our wedding night. They take you, mind, body and soul. And no one who has not experienced it can understand the torture.

• downwitfakerastas says:

I can’t find friends to relate to me very much right now so I am so glad I found this site….everyone just keeps telling me that I should get on with it,,,,its only been four days that I learned he was engaged and had other women and how he led me astray…..I knew all along something wasn’t right, but I chose to ignore my precious intuition…right now I don’t know if I will ever trust again. they do take you mind body and soul for sure

• juliet says:

Dear Stargazer,

I am writing Part 3. I took another year off to mourn and market Parts One and Two. The complete trilogy should be out at Christmas, a Box Set!

JM

4. Jov77 says:

The superficial charm of spaths I find sickening. The lies. The deception they spin on us.

So the disordered friend I had said he is going to get hitched/married. He always talked about wanting to settle down but just couldn’t make it happen regardless of the many short-term relationships.

In December 2013 he got a job in a different parish so he would now work out of town. Within no time at all he found a new woman. The previous relationship ended in April 2013 and as usual the blame fell on the female.

Recently the disordered one sent me text stating that he will be getting married this June but the actual date is not fixed as yet. Mind you this is a 5 – 6 month relationship. From what I got to understand his pastor supports the marriage idea and his advice was for the spath and the young woman to spend a lot of time together. What is beyond me is how comes this man is getting married June 2014 and he does not have a date set yet. All he knows is the day of the week he wish to have the wedding. The excuse for not knowing the date is because he and the fiancée has to complete the pre-marital questionnaire first. As soon as it is completed then he will tie the knot right away. The wedding format will be the couple and two witnesses and of course marriage officer. He doesn’t even have any plans to take the new bride out to dinner right after marrying her.

I am sorry for the unsuspecting and innocent fiancée because she will be in for a rude awakening when the spath starts to show his true colors. Oh. How did the spath expressed his love for her: “She is a big woman and mature. She will take any little thing I give to her and not complaint.” Can you feel the love? He has a sexual interest in her but how much beyond that I have no idea. In my view what he really wants is a woman to be his household maid. He is getting training to be an elder in the church so marriage will do something for his image too.

(I used “friend” for ease of reference.)

5. Stargazer says:

Juliet, what a way to turn a bad experience into a positive – write a book (or set of books as the case may be), help others through your book, and make some money off it. You are my hero! I can’t wait to read Part III.

6. alicia82 says:

I just finished the first book tonight. I just couldn’t believe what I was reading. To me it was like reading my own texts to my sociopath Muslim boyfriend. He is an ex now as I caught his lies and he married another women while in a relationship with me. I just never could understand it and, naturally, dumped his ass when I found out (through his sister cause he is gutless!). I went through depression when I was with him because of the emotional and financial abuse. I have only recently come out of the foginess. This novel is very close to what I went through too.

• alicia82 says:

Just to clarify: I found out about the wedding through his sister. He was so gutless by not telling me himself. 3 weeks later, after many of my abusive emails and text messages (do you blame me?!), I get a message from him saying that he had to marry for a reason blah blah blah. No respect for me or for his new wife.
      I always wondered if it was because of him being a Muslim or if he was a sociopath or both but never found anyone in the same boat as me to find that out.