lovefraud6
  • Polish
  • Portuguese
  • Russian
  • Spanish
  • Turkish
  • Vietnamese

What is wrong with Jodi Arias?

Jodi Arias was convicted of first-degree murder yesterday for killing her one-time boyfriend, Travis Alexander. Authorities said she planned the attack in a jealous rage. Obviously something is wrong with her, because when normal people kill in self-defense, as she claims, they aren’t as vicious and gruesome as she was. But what is her diagnosis?

A defense expert diagnosed post-traumatic stress disorder. A prosecution expert diagnosed borderline personality disorder. A psychiatrist writing for Psychology Today evaluated whether she is a sociopath, but pointed out that her antisocial behavior seemed focused only on her victim.

I thought she was amazingly calm in her interview after her conviction, when she said she’d rather die than spend her life in prison. That is certainly a sociopathic attitude.

Whatever her disorder, she has certainly kept people glued to their televisions for months.

Jodi Arias convicted of first-degree murder, on LATimes.com.

Jodi Arias says she prefers death penalty in post-conviction interview, on FoxNews.com.

Is Jodi Arias a sociopath? on PsychologyToday.com.

Does Jodi Arias have borderline personality disorder, on PsychologyToday.com.

Jodi Arias has post-traumatic stress disorder, psychologist says, on ABCNews.go.com.

23 Comments on "What is wrong with Jodi Arias?"

1. Babs says:

Blossom4th: “sensuous blonde?” Brunette with glasses…
    there are “sensuous brunettes” you know…some even wear glasses…

;-) (wink)

2. hope52 says:

Jodi Arias appears to be a full blown criminal psychopath. Forget the borderline personality disorder. She wants to commit suicide likes she wants Travis back among the living.

This woman epitomizes everything about psychopathy. Arrogance, narcissism, manipulation, pathological lying, promiscuous sexual behavior, and lack of remorse.

What really bothers me however, was her domestic abuse excuse. And who is that STUPID woman from California Alyce Lavolette or whatever her name was on the stand as a DEFENSE witness. I watched part of her testimony and I thought I caught a glimpse of a narcissism on her part as she testified. Leave it to California to have folks like this to be the “expert” witness.

This farce of a defense has probably done horrendous damage to many women that DO live with an abusive man. All the work that domestic abuse shelters do seems to just fall away after this episode.

Thanks Alyce! You are the champ!

3. Babs94540 says:

I read those articles at Psychology Today; I think JA has psychopathy.

My personal experience interacting with individuals who have Cluster B pds, that need to get revenge that I’ve noticed in them is closely associated with narcissistic pd; npd traits are a good portion of the Hare psychopathy checklist, which is currently considered the “gold standard” tool for diagnosing psychopathy in forensic populations (which JA now is.)

So, all psychopaths (or sociopaths) also have narcissistic pd, but not all those with narcissistic pd are psychopaths.

That deep need to “get back” at someone who has inflicted an ego wound is due to the narcissistic pd, but getting revenge in such an extreme way as MURDER, particularly one so over-the-top in cruelty, well, it has to be due to psychopathy.

And I think that if the genders had been reversed, and a male had stalked and murdered a female in that way, the trial might have lasted maybe a day or two.
    The public is much more willing to condemn a male for an obviously planned murder than to entertain the idea that women are just as capable of being cruel and sadistic. It is much rarer for women to kill out of a need for revenge using weapons and violence, but it is quite possible. (Females who kill more often use poison, if I’m understanding what I’ve read correctly.)

Dr Hare spoke in a documentary about psychopaths, saying that “A psychopath regards fellow human beings the way a cat regards a mouse; we are just potential supply sources to a psychopath. A cat gives a mouse a slow death by torture, finding amusement in its futile attempts at defense and escape. The cat will continue batting at the dying captive for a while, then it gets bored and either eats the mouse or wanders off. This is predator behavior. Hare has described psychopaths as intra-species predators.

So, if there was a vote, mine would be for a diagnosis of psychopathy. It would be really interesting if JA were to be evaluated by Dr. Robert Hare; I’d like his take on this individual. I’d also like to see JA undergo one of those brain-scans I’ve read about, also; it seems that there is a “signature” brain structure for psychopathy. I bet she’s got that “signature” brain structure.

4. tornN2 says:

I am the mother of a daughter like Jody arius. For years I cried, begged and tried everything I could to get my daughter help. She would accuse the doctors of sexually molesting her to get out of the appointments. Even with family sitting right there with her. She would lie. So I do not blame Jody’s mom. I wish there was help, a cure something to stop them. But there is none. My heart breaks.
    Until then what do we do?

5. blossom4th says:

tornN2,
    Welcome to Lovefraud! I hope you find the comfort and support you are in need of,here!

I’m so sorry to read of your pain.Parents cannot be blamed for everything.Once a child is old enough to make up such wild accusations and excuses,they are old enough to know what they are doing and to resist the help their parents try to get for them.

There are a few other mothers on this blog that are facing the heartbreak of coping with a sociopathic child.So keep reading and posting here!

6. tornN2 says:

thank you blossom4th. My daughter is now 30 years old. I have had no contact with her for four years. I moved 2000 miles away because I couldn’t watch her destroy lives any more. I would like to hear from other mothers on here. How do they cope? I am going to read all that I can. I may not be able to help my daughter but perhaps I can get some kind of understanding. hugs

7. behind_blue_eyes says:

I guess here is the place to post a question that I actually came here for. My mother’s sister has a very dysfunctional family. Her three children are or were drug abusers and alcoholics. Both her daughters had children out of wedlock. Her son did jail time for statutory rape. The daughters claim that their father sexually abused them, but I am not convinced of this. However, her son does show signs of sexual abuse. He was a bed-wetter and although strongly homophobic, introduced me to sex.

The daughters live in a two-family house paid for by their parents. Their son was given a large some of money to buy a house, one that was sold in a divorce. He blew the money on drugs.

My mother has a rich cousin who occasional gifts both my mother and her sister large sums of money. Two nights ago, I learned that my mother received a gift of $3000 from her cousin. My mother told me “I don’t need that money, I am going to give it to my sister.”

Her sister’s fortunes changed and she is on Social Security but barely makes ends meet. She owns a house that is paid in full yet refuses to get a reverse mortgage. Why? She uses to bait of inheritance to control her miserable children.

I was furious at my mother. We have a joint account and tomorrow, I am withdrawing the money and investing it.

I want to get my mother disengaged from her controlling sister and her miserable children. I told my mother that she needs to stop subsiding them but I simply fear she still will send her sister the money anyway.

What do I do?

Thanks.

• fight says:

All anyone here can do is offer suggestions. I would suggest that you searchd the articles in the archives here. Read posts here. Read Donna’s book. Read as many books as you can about sociopaths, narcissists, and other personality disordered people.

I would definitely continue to separate your finances away from your mother and your aunt. You probably won’t be able to change that dynamic. Your mother’s need to give money to her sister is probably a very old dynamic that you won’t change.

All you can do is continue to read and educate yourself and protect yourself. Then, if your mom asks for help in changing the dynamic with her sister, you will have plenty of information to offer to her.

• behind_blue_eyes says:

Thanks. Agreed. What I am going to do is monitor my mother’s finances an make sure any gifts are not excessive. I am not overly concerned at this one gift, but I suspect that there is more going on. In fact, there is a part of my mother’s finances that does not add up. Not huge, but $500 a month over years does.

I am the executor to my aunt’s will, Prior to this, I would not have considered taking the executor fee, but now I am. If my cousins don’t like it, they can piss and moan all they want.

• Tea Light says:

BBE, firstly, I’ m reading ” introduced me to sex” as consentual. I very much hope that was the case although your cousin is …well. A cousin. I hope no coercion was involved BBE given his criminal conviction in later life. That does not require any response, of course. Regarding your mother. Unless your mother is suffering from dementia or another illness thatiimpairs her judgement, I would say that you may have to accept her decisions are hers to make, as frustrating as it may be for you. If your mother is comfortable and not being defrauded or embezzled, all you can reasonably do is ask her not to support these dysfunctional relatives whilst respecting that it is her right to do so if she wishes.

• behind_blue_eyes says:

He was older but it was consensual. However, to hide his own shame he would publicly embarrass me. In addition, when I was even younger, he would physically abuse me until I was old enough to beat him up — I am much bigger, so I could beat him up when I was 10 and he was 12.

It gets better. To help out one of my cousins, my mother asked me to set-up internet access and an email account for my cousin’s oldest daughter under an account I had that allowed for multiple users. I never really monitored the account but one day I logged in and found full-frontal nude pictures sent to her by some boy in her school. These pictures could have gotten me in serious trouble and I immediately terminated the account.

The whole lot of them are a mess.