By December 26, 2012 6 Comments Read More →

DSM-5 creates new categories of mental illness — and costs

Lovefraud has written about the American Psychiatric Association’s new Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) in relation to the new guidelines on personality disorders. (Read Disarray in the DSM-5.) But one psychiatrist says the manual will create even bigger problems.

New psychiatry manual is a giant step in the wrong direction, on PressofAtlanticCity.com.

6 Comments on "DSM-5 creates new categories of mental illness — and costs"

1. Truthspeak says:

Donna, thank you for posting this article. Oh, great. “Normal” human “conditions” will suddenly require MEDICAL intervention? Yippeeeeeeee……

Who’s running this asylum, anyway? Isn’t there any sense of outrage within the psych communities?

Brightest blessings….

2. Louise says:

I read just yesterday that “Narcissistic” is being removed from the DSM-5. True? I didn’t read this article.

3. Louise says:

Now I read it. According to the new guidelines, I have a “Binge Eating Disorder.” 🙂

Louise, Yea, I binge 2-3 times a DAY!

I’m not so against removing NPD as a separate disorder. I think Narcissism that rises to the level of NPD is a SYMPTOM of psychopathy, at least on a low level….rather than a separate “disease” just as a FEVER can be a SYMPTOM of many things, I think Narcissism is the same way.

5. Louise says:

Oxy:

Haha, sometimes I do, too! I think that’s a crazy definition of binge eating. According to that, almost everyone has an eating disorder. Like we didn’t already have enough problems in the mental health world. Geez.

I agree. I think NPD is just a symptom of another problem or multiple problems.

6. Truthspeak says:

I’m just curious about which moron defined normal human grieving as some kind of disorder? In the history of mankind, it’s only in the past how many years that human beings have begun to “study” the human condition? Some things are “normal” processes that can create difficulties for human beings, but they are part of the human condition. I just don’t get it. I really don’t.

NPD….yepper, I agree that it’s typically a symptom of other issues.

EDIT ADD: Perhaps, sociopathy and NPD can simply be redefined as “P.A.D.” This would be the anacronym for “Pigheaded Asshole Disorder.” Just a thought….