lovefraud5
  • Polish
  • Portuguese
  • Russian
  • Spanish
  • Turkish
  • Vietnamese

Sociopathic tendencies or full-blown sociopath?

(The article below is copyrighted © 2012 by Steve Becker, LCSW. My use of male gender pronouns is for convenience’s sake and not meant to imply that females aren’t capable of exhibiting the attitudes and behaviors discussed.)

What does it mean to say that someone has sociopathic tendencies, versus full-blown sociopathy, and does the difference even matter?

The simple answer is that someone with sociopathic tendencies will exhibit sociopathic behaviors and attitudes sometimes, while elsewhere he may seem to possess (and, in fact, may possess) a somewhat genuine (if limited and unreliable) capacity and desire to respect others.

In contrast, the full-blown sociopath’s respect for others, when apparently evident, is never really deeply genuine, but rather driven more by expediency or, more specifically, by the lack of any immediate opportunity to benefit from disrespecting or exploiting others.

Another way to say it is that the full-blown sociopath will almost always capitalize on perceived opportunities to exploit others for his own gain, whereas an individual with “sociopath tendencies” is likely to be somewhat less predictably exploitive in his interpersonal relationships.

In my experience, to identify that you are involved with a partial versus full-blown sociopath is not grounds for optimism. So long as sociopathic tendencies are present, their “quantity” seems to me to matter little. In the end, the individual’s prognosis is the same—hopeless. He is no less treatable or curable for the comparatively inconstant expression of his sociopathy.

In some respects it may be more disconcerting to be involved with a partial sociopath than a full-blown one. This is because the partial sociopath’s seeming capacity to be a “real,” sometimes (if selectively) attached human being can serve as a sort of tease—one finds the seemingly less exploitive aspect of his nature even more confusingly impossible to reconcile with the more exploitive one. One seizes on his capacity for “selective humanity,” misjudging it for his potential for ongoing, reliable empathy and respect for others.

Of course this is a pipe-dream, because the partial sociopath’s capacity for “sensitivity,” perhaps even for certain forms of loyalty, is ever-presently compromised by the underlying tug, and ultimate grip, of his underlying sociopathic orientation. He will  inevitably, with utter certainty, drift back into his more exploitive mode and exhibit again, at some point in time, the shocking markers of his sociopathy—his defects of empathy in the context of his audaciously violating behaviors.

I want to stress this very carefully: to the extent that someone has sociopathic tendencies, implying that his sociopathy doesn’t necessarily encompass his “whole character” (as in the case of the full-blown sociopath), this is something like comparing two very dangerous, ultimately untreatable cancerous malignancies—the first hasn’t perhaps  “metastasized” fully, but is definitely malignant with absolutely no cure and no chance of   meaningful remission; whereas the latter shows perhaps evidence of a global invasion, i.e. “sociopathy run uncontrollably wild.”

I’ve worked for several years with a client I regard as having clear-cut sociopathic tendencies and find her to be among the more baffling clients I’ve worked with. There is the strangest, most jarring mix of humanity in her personality, a capacity for generosity, yet alternating with a historical pattern of cunning, lying behaviors and a chilling capacity to comfortably disown remarkable abdications of responsibility.

She has exhibited these dizzying, confusing qualities in her relationship with me. She has lied to my face countless times and produced fantastic, absurd, and obviously specious explanations for behaviors that someone fully unsociopathic would feel anxious and embarrassed to assert. When confronted with her dissimulation, she conveys (and seems to feel) little to no shame, just the knee-jerk inclination to perpetuate and elaborate the deceptions.

She is opportunistic and someone who has “worked the system” in a variety of unethical ways. Ultimately she lacks either the willingness, or capacity, to truly own the varieties of ethically dubious, sometimes alarmingly irresponsible behaviors that continue to sabotage her otherwise seemingly considerable potential.

She is a complex person, a very attractive and seductive individual, and I believe she possesses a dimension within her characterized by seemingly real generosity. At the same time, she can be shamelessly manipulative and deceptive, and can be “counted on” ultimately to be only “unreliable.” She seems destined to leave those in her life periodically stunned by the betrayal of their faith and trust in her.

She will never change. There is a sociopathic element in her character that I believes explains these patterns and that leaves her, in my view, permanently untrustworthy.

I’m interested in readers’ feedback on this subject.

152 Comments on "Sociopathic tendencies or full-blown sociopath?"

1. hens says:

OX
    I have satelite tv out here in the boonies, I know alot about everything, I just cant remember it.

2. darwinsmom says:

Here’s an interesting piece of video of research done for morality, empathy, fairness, sharing in animal species, other than humans

3. Truthspeak says:

Darwinsmom, what an interesting study! Thanks for the link!

4. skylar says:

Darwinsmom,
    good link. Thanks.
    The dog that stopped lifting his paw when he saw the other get rewarded reminded me of me. except that I kept lifting my paw even when my little spath sister got rewarded. In fact, she didn’t need to lift her paw at all, instead I lifted mine and she got the reward.

My mom was a better dog trainer, I guess.

5. Truthspeak says:

Skylar! LOL!!! But, you don’t have to lift a paw, today, do you?

HUGS!!!

6. Solis Ryne says:

I think that persons with sociopathic tendencies are marked by a stunning lack of empathy more than exploitative behavior. I can attest that personally. They don’t possess the full destructive set of qualities that a sociopath does but they can still play a game with your head. I had a friend who had this marked lack of empathy whom i knew for all five years of high school and after that as well. She was prone to introversion and I was bubbly and enthusiastic in our first year so we made friends. She had no clue on how to make friends( I guess she figured out that later but I suspect that she lets people come to her and do the friend making). She refereed to me as her ‘Acquaintance’ in year two rather than friend. Only later she identified me as her best friend.

She later became very cold and displayed the tendency to forget obligations and people in general. Our circle of friends would make dates to go out and she would forget them totally. We would call on the day and it wouldn’t be like she forgot actually people rather that she forgot what day it was( she did that too.). I convince her to come to prom and she would later say it was boring and lame. She after graduating found me less than entertaining(I didn’t to night clubs or drink) so she found herself a new person to entertain her. One of my friends, who was willing to go to night clubs, get her drinks, and get her boys(she made out with a guy she had just met – one she had no emotionally connection to on one occasion, while we were in high school). I only saw her a few times after that. she was always too tired with work to come see me. And the one time I saw her beside running into her, was after my grand mother died and my other friend insisted they come.

She possesses this calculating coldness and lack or regard but she also has this reserve of generosity like you describe above. She’s not fake or putting fronts up. She’s generous, and never forgets birthdays, and she’s intellectual.

The thing that made me sure she was sociopathic was the time when her boy friend fell, got his arm broken, begged her to visit her and she never did.And when he got upset and refused to talk to her she was upset and baffled by his behavior, which made ME baffled. She just had no clue she had the obligation to go see him in his condition. And then went on with how she would get revenge when she became a Doctor. Oh, and the time she forgot to give me a photograph from that the other friend had passed on to me… forgot it for two years. I asked about it and she knew nothing about it.I only found out after I visited my other friend who told me to forget it and gave me her copy.

She also began interfering in my friends relationships, and has turned out to have promiscuous behavior which you would never have guessed. She’s a user who throws you out if there’s no benefit to her. She manipulated one guy into a relationship with her then when he dumped her, slept with him in order to get him back. She strove to keep me from my other friend, forgetting when ever i asked to go with her. She is blightly dishonest, I asked her about the photo and she said what was i talking about. The last straw was when she disregarded my concern over a spate we had online. I had apologized for the issue but she didn’t talk to me for months. When i finally messaged her after five months and asked where we stood, she replied, “I forgot,that’s why it seems i was ignoring you, why don’t you get over it.” She didn’t value that I was upset over the issue, didn’t express remorse, not a single thing. I was upset over something that she just couldn’t care about. I considered her so much while she didn’t. I got over her alright. I never want to hear from her again.

7. HopingToHeal says:

This is a very enlighten article for anyone who is questioning whether their abuser is sociopathic or not. Obviously,there is a wide spectrum of sociopathic individuals.