lovefraud3
lovefraud3
ArabicChinese (Simplified)DutchEnglishFilipinoFrenchGermanGreekHindiIndonesianItalianJapaneseKoreaMalayPersianPolishPortugueseRussianSpanishTurkishvietnamese
By September 15, 2012 8 Comments Read More →

Boys sentenced after 17-year-old abuse victim tweets their names

A year ago, Savannah Dietrich of Kentucky was sexually assaulted by two 16-year-old boys at a party. When prosecutors offered the boys a plea bargain that Dietrich felt was too lenient, she defied a judge’s orders and tweeted their names. Dietrich also said the chief prosecutor in juvenile court told her to “get over it.” Read:

Savannah Dietrich comes face-to-face with admitted abusers, on WDRB.com.

Louisville boys sexually assaulted Savannah Dietrick ’cause we thought it would be funny,’ on Courier-Journal.com.

Posted in: Laws and courts

8 Comments on "Boys sentenced after 17-year-old abuse victim tweets their names"

1. Truthspeak says:

Donna, thank you for posting this article – it screams of “tolerance” within the justic system of predatory behavior. I experienced something simliar, and I never told anyone about it because it involved alcohol and I believed that I was somehow to blame for the neighborhood boys’ actions.

What I find MOST disturbing are the comments on the WDRB.com site about Savannah’s culpability. Apparently, many readers hold the belief that SHE deserved what she got because she had been drinking and passed out. Therefore, she – her body – was “fair game” for any young man or woman to violate? REALLY!?!?!

Good for Savannah to have the sack to take on the offenders AND the faulty Justice System!!!!

Brightest blessings

2. shane says:

Fantastic, what this girl has done! I commend and admire her.

This is the kind of thing that does require the wisdom of Solomon.

1. In NO way do I condone what these kids did to this young woman, it was a terrible violation of this young woman’s body while she was in no condition to object. It was RAPE.

2. These kids are not “all bad” (per GPA etc) BUT they obviously have made a SERIOUSLY BAD choice in what to do, also, most likely, under the inhibition squelching influence of ALCOHOL and under the drives of testosterone fueled urges.

If NONE of these kids had made the choice/decision to drink, NONE of this would have happened.

I am assuming from the article that she was left alone in her home to invite in friends to drink (maybe the parents didn’t know she was going to invite in friends to drink) but I think the parents share some of the BAD CHOICES for not keeping a closer eye on this young woman.

There is BLAME ENOUGH to go around to all the kids and all the parents and to society in general.

All that: I then am INCENSED by the DA’s deal with the boys.

Now, it is possible that these boys were just good kids who did a really bad one tiime thing and have learned by their mistake…BUT it is also possible that they are buddiing psychopaths who feel entitled to do what they want to to a woman/girl who cannot resist them. FUNNY? NO!!!!!

50 hours of community service? NAH!!!!! Not nearly enough.

Alternative school instead of community school. Yea, I think maybe them attending an “alternative” school for thhe rest of their high school career might be reasonable.

50 hours of community service PER MONTH until they turn 21, more like it. Maybe that 50 hours could consist of them preparing and giving lectures on the evils of alcohol and the meaning of “rape” to high school audiences all over their state.

Plus mandatory counseling for them and their families. I also suggest that the boys PAY FOR THE COUNSELING for the girl and her family and are not let off probation/parole supervision until that counseling bill is PAID IN FULL. However long that takes.

Yea, they may not be able to get into Harvard with that record, but if they really want to rehab themselves I think they could get into a community college or a state college, and maybe by the time they are off probation/parole they will have matured.

Oh, weekly and random blood tests for drugs and alcohol during their time on parole/probation.

I don’t think jail time per se is necessarily what these boys need, but if they do not attend to Judge Joyce’s parole conditions, then “go to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200″

4. OnlyGetsBetterFromHere says:

Savannah is a brave, wise young woman. I think too many people are mixing issues with this case. There is no evidence that the two boys did not violate this young woman. In fact, the two provided the evidence by sharing the pictures of what they did to Savannah with others because they thought it was “funny.” They did not care about Savannah. In fact, the young man who claims she ruined his life STILL doesn’t care. He never considered violating her and taking pictures of it as a way of ruining her life, but now that he can’t go to an Ivy League college, everyone should feel sorry for him? Boo-hoo.. cry me a river! He has no compassion. Community service was not a strict enough sentence.

The double standard toward young women and sexuality is alive and well in the new millenium, as evidenced by the comments from many people in response to the articles about Savannah’s case. I find it interesting that Savannah’s full name is disclosed, but the young men are still being protected in the media. She is not an adult. She is still a minor. Why is she not being protected? Had Savannah not released their names, those boys still would be able to go on with their lives as if they never did anything wrong, while she continues to deal with the effects of being assaulted, and images of the assault are still available, as she has no way of controlling those images.

5. Christine says:

Good for Savannah!

I see huge red flags from what they did initially and I’m not so sure community service and counseling is enough of a punishment. Maybe it can be argued that the boys wouldn’t have done it if they weren’t also drinking alcohol, but what about later when I assume they were sober and they showed others the pictures of what they did to Savannah? To me, that is a very good indicator of a dangerous mindset that can’t be excused as doing something stupid while intoxicated. They didn’t sober up and have remorse for what they did or the least bit of empathy for her. They chose to then humiliate her further.

What if the tables were turned and another had done that to the two boys when they were drunk? They would be reeling with the after effects of being raped themselves and it wouldn’t have been funny to them then, I bet. What would the reaction have been if they had done that to a drunk boy? Would they have thought that was also funny and showed the pictures to friends or do they rationalize that it’s fine to do that to a girl, but not a boy?

As for the lawyers involved – shaking my head in disgust.

6. Truthspeak says:

Christine, I had posted a personal episode, months ago, about a similar situation when I was very young. Alcohol was involved, and it was a very ugly situation over which I had no control, and this episode pretty much set my self-esteem and self-value at nil for the rest of my life.

I never told anyone what happened simply because I would have been blamed for having gotten drunk with neighborhood boys, in the first place. This was back in the 1970′s, and I would be curious to see a “study” done of women born between 1958-1965 as to how many experienced date-rape and sexual assault and NEVER told a soul about the crimes.

My firm belief is that victim-blame is a part of cognitive dissonance and denial, and it has to stop, somewhere. “Boys being boys,” is NOT a good enough explanation for why these boys would feel that they are impervious to moral or ethical expectations, regardless of the “opportunity” to take advantage of someone who is unconscious. If you read some of the comments on the website’s article, it’s enough to make one’s blood run cold.

That a gag order was imposed and Savannah faced consequences for naming her attackers, publicly, is beyond my comprehension. The boys didn’t “allegedly” attack her! They did, in fact, sexually assault her and shared documented imagery of their crimes! If that doesn’t scream “SOCIOPATHS,” nothing would. No amount of counseling or community service is going to alter what these boys are – ever.

I could rant on about this, ad nauseum.

For Savannah, a big, huge, and top-of-the-lungs TOWANDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Truthspeak says:

To clarify the “study” age group, it would be very, very interesting to note how many women in the particular group were later involved with or married socipaths, as consenting adults.

The two boys in Savannah’s case should be forced to pay lifetime restitution to her.

8. Christine says:

Truthspeak, I’m sorry you went through that. It’s terrible to go through and even worse if you don’t have good support afterward and to know that you would be blamed.

I am in that age group, too, and I think it was not uncommon for our peers to be sexually assaulted or raped. Some told a select few and some never did. It would be interesting to see how many married spaths.

What Savannah is going through is so sad and speaks so poorly of our culture about rape and the justice (injustice?) system we have to deal with. I admire her courage and perseverance.