How to break a “culture of silence” – remove everyone

In another shocking case of child sex abuse, a teacher at the Miramonte Elementary School in Los Angeles was accused of playing sex games in the classroom for 20 years. The response of John Deasy, superintendent of the Los Angeles Unified School District: He removed the school’s entire staff, from the principal to the janitors.

Read John Deasy LAUSD: Superintendent has made bold decisions in face of crisis, on HuffingtonPost.com.

Mothers whose children were abused have filed suit against the school district. Read 14 moms sue LA schools in child abuse case, on MSNBC.MSN.com.

Stories suggested by Lovefraud readers.

35 Comments on "How to break a “culture of silence” – remove everyone"

1. skylar says:

Grace,
    yeah I saw that. The abcnews link goes to that information.
    I’m ashamed to say that I couldn’t decide who was in the wrong for a while. Now I see the total spath in Zimmerman.

Not saying that Treyvon Martin was an innocent. I don’t know anything about him because he’s dead. But I do know a spath when I smell one and Zimmerman stinks.

2. hope52 says:

I agree with so many of the above posts. I would like to chime in on my appreciation for the school superintendent in LA. Bravo!

Post 9/11 I was jobless. I passed out cheese at the local supermarket and then I began a subsitute teacher position in my local school district. This district has one of the top 50 high schools in the country. Academically, extremely successful.

I did notice an incredible level of apathy with many of the teachers however. I noticed that they appeared to have no interest in many of the behavioral problems with the students. I also noticed this with most of the school administration. No one seemed to stand up to the bullies that I recognized immediately in the classroom. Violence gets my attention.

My point here is not to anger any teachers as my sister has been one for over 30 years and I have two good friends that are special ed teachers. I admire the people that choose to do this profession for the pay that most receive. However, I do think once again as I posted on this blog we are also seeing a huge apathy epidemic in our culture.

Mr Deasy probably figures that SOMEONE knew about this guy but didnt take the time to report his 20 year “odd” behavior to the administration.

So what is it? Apathy gone crazy or has psychopathy taken over our culture and we are not noticing? Perhaps both.

3. hope52 says:

Oh, and about George Zimmerman and all the other “strange” people that do seem to gather in Florida.

No offense Floridians…but come on.

Follow the trail. Look at the histories of these folks that are in the news, causing havoc in their families, yelling the loudest in the group.

Robert Hare states that even he has trouble spotting a pathological in prison. Really? Then we have no chance. Does he not have this persons’ rap sheet? Ask a few questions about jobs, family, and education and we might get a clue.

The longer I educate myself about personality disordered people the more I wonder how the heck I missed all of the red flags. Many are extremely deceitful, but in this day and age, there is little excuse for one getting away with any long term “con.”

The internet should become our best friend. “When people show you who they are – believe them.” Maya Angelou

4. somebodysdream says:

sorry I am late —- we need extemes like John Deasy initially until we can settle in the middle of the road. He is the 2×4 between they eyes that gets our attention. He had the guts to set a standard and say “enough”. I wish he could have nipped it in the bud sooner to keep kids out of harms way.

5. Emi says:

It’s late and need to get to bed…work tomorrow…am bookmarking all links listed in this thread to read later. Interesting Zimmerman has lagged for so long that another truth comes out…he’s also a pedophile. It makes me sick. But…also interesting this high profile revelation is coming on the heels of Penn State. Maybe this will catch people’s attention because they are already processing the fallout from Penn State and a collective light bulb will go off in the public’s heads. Perfect timing for education…

6. creampuff says:

Hello friends…this is very off topic here, but wasn’t sure where to post….I am having some issues I hope you can help me with…being a Christian sometimes I have a problem with the fact that I have TOTALLY severed all contact with the bio and step path daughters..I have had such peace without either of them in my life for the last 9 months, however, I have these little twinges sometimes like…..what if something terrible happened to one of them ?? Would I eat myself alive with guilt, would I be punished for having dis owned them? The oldest one is my flesh and blood child. It is fleeting and hits me at the oddest times….it’s almost like a flash of panic …has anyone else experienced this when they had to go NC with a family member? Does it ever go away….or have any of you actually lost someone after going NC ? and how did you feel afterward….I guess Mother’s always feel guilty in one way or another…It’s like I can’t have them in my life or they suck the very life blood out of me….but it also feels wrong in my gut to cut them out of my life totally….I know I can’t go back, but I wish I could just make peace with these feelings….am I normal???? Love you guys…..

7. Truthspeak says:

Creampuff, I undersand the issues of “guilt” when experiencing the beauties of peace and tranquility. THIS is directly related to “shame-core.”

I can’t say that my “twinges” ever “go away.” But, the depth of the twinges become less and less intrusive in my life.

You cannot have them in your life because they are Soul Suckers. Parasites of the Soul. Soul-stealers. Soul-wreckers. And perversions of humanity.

The “peace” with your feelings may be assisted through strong counseling therapy, Creampuff. These are issues that no religion, no philosophy, no one approach can help us with – we are not equipped to manage losing a child and a step-child to “death-by-sociopathy.” Although I cannot speak from personal reference, I must believe that the sudden death of a child has some sort of closure – there is a memorial, a burial, a mourning process, etc. But, the “death” of a child who is clearly a sociopath (my son is spath, absolutely) has NO closure. There is no memorial service. There is no “cause of death.” There is nothing to help us process this event.

Today, I still mourn the “loss” of my eldest son, but I realize that, just as if he had lost his life, suddenly, I had no control over his sociopathy. Yes, it’s sad. But, the sadness becomes less, and less keen over time.

Brightest blessings

8. skylar says:

Creampuff,
    I’ve had the same thoughts about my family members.

Then I think, something awful has already happened to them: They are spaths. The only thing worse that can happen is that you supply them. It’s much better for them to be NC’d than to be enabled in being spaths. It’s better for us and it’s better for them.

Congratulations on achieving peace.