Mary Richardson Kennedy, wife of Robert F. Kennedy Jr., hanged herself in the barn of her estate on Wednesday, May 16. Here are some excerpts from news articles about the case:
• Kennedy married Mary Richardson just three weeks after divorcing his first wife.
• Kennedy filed for divorce two years ago. According to the New York Post, “he’d slapped her with several restraining orders and had her found in contempt of court and had reportedly wrested custody of their four children away from her.”
• The Post also quoted a friend as describing Mary Richardson as “psychologically tortured.”
• Kennedy, in the meantime, carried on a high-profile romance with actress Cheryl Hines.
• Mary Richardson was deep in credit card debt.
• Back in 2007, Robert Kennedy tried to drive Mary Richardson to a hospital for treatment. A friend told the New York Daily News that Mary feared her husband was trying to gaslight her.
Mary Kennedy suicide: Estranged wife of Robert Kennedy Jr. was ‘lost and alone,’ on NYDailyNews.com.