The brain of a narcissist

A researcher conducts a study that reveals just how much narcissists focus on themselves.

Read: The definitive fMRI test for narcissism, on PsychologyToday.com.

Link supplied by a Lovefraud reader.

Posted in: Scientific research

51 Comments on "The brain of a narcissist"

1. nemo says:

Hi all,

Obviously I am doing something very wrong here. I have not assumed any ones comments are homophobic.

Skylar, what you have read is different to what I have read, although I would say that, in my opinion, any testosterone differences is in the womb and not an adult, what ever their sexual preference.

I think I will take Ox Drover’s very wise advice and butt out now.

It has been interesting.

Thank you all for the posts.

Coping,

There is a difference in a HEALTHY narcissism and an UNHEALTHY one.

The term comes from an old myth: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissus_%28mythology%29

The term narcissistic means “lover of self”—but even the Bible talks about self love as GOOD it says “love your neighbor AS yourself” Well if you didn’t love yourself, you couldn’t love your neighbor very much, now could you.

Sure babies are very narcissistic because that is all they know until they mature and grow…like Skylar said.

We are not DISORDERED if we love ourselves in a healthy and normal way, a mature way. When you are SICK you love yourself enough to get medication, to follow the doctor’s orders, to go to bed and rest so you can get well. That is healthy love for self.

There are also DEGREES of Narcissistic thinking, some people are worse about it than others, that is why it is called NPD Narcissistic personality disorder.

A person who is THOUGHTLESS is sort of “narcissistic” and might eat the last piece of cake, not even thinking that you had had none, but the VERY narcissisticly inclined would maybe not even want the cake but would throw it in the trash JUST SO YOU COULD NOT HAVE ANY. Get the picture

Keep on reading and learning, but don’t ever feel bad taking care of yourself or healing!@ (((hugs))) God bless.

3. Sarah999 says:

IMHO…There is NO such thing “Healthy Narcissism”.
    For example.
    1) A new born is less than 2 feet tall. We do not say he is “short”! A new born SUPPOSED to be less than 2 feet tall.
    2) A 1 year old child old can’t add or talk . . . We don’t say he is dumb! At 1 year old he is NOT SUPPOSED to add or talk.
    3) An infant cries or to get his needs met, we do not say he is selfish and narcissistic . . . He is SUPPOSED to cry to get his needs met.
    It irks me when people apply a label of “Healthy Narcissism” to a child who is going through normal development.
    Narcissism has NO RELATION to children going through a normal developmental stages. Just as we wouldn’t apply, short or dumb to children going through the normal stages of growth and intellectual development.
    They are not short . . . they are children!
    They are not dumb . . they are children!
    They are not narcissistic . .they are children!

4. skylar says:

One day, my spath told me I was arrogant AND that other people had mentioned it to him. I was flummoxed. WTF? I had to actually look up the word because I had no idea what he was trying to say. Of course, now I know that he was projecting.

ar·ro·gant/ˈarəgənt/Adjective: Having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one’s own importance or abilities

For me, that’s the definition of narcissism.
    Today, I looked up narcissism:

nar·cis·sism/ˈnärsəˌsizəm/Noun: 1.Excessive or erotic interest in oneself and one’s physical appearance.
    2.Extreme selfishness, with a grandiose view of one’s own talents and a craving for admiration.

So the definitions are close, in that they both have to do with a distorted sense of oneself as being better, more important, more entitled, more deserving of attention than what is reality. I take it a bit further and would add more capable, including more capable of assuming responsibility and making better decisions, than anyone else.

Whether it’s a good thing or not, is debatable. Yes, it’s a good thing for babies, I do agree. And I think it’s a good thing for teenagers too because they are trying their wings and need the confidence.

In A Mind of Its Own: How Your Brain Distorts and Deceives by Cordelia Fine, she says that people who perceive themselves and their abilities most accurately, are clinically depressed.

I thought that the article above was really good, so I googled Julian Keenan and found a video of him talking about narcissism. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXoe9szaL9g

So maybe it’s not narcissism alone that makes spaths so disgusting, but rather the complete retardation of their emotional growth, so that they have all the attitudes of infants, including envy and cowardice.

5. callmeathena says:

Sky

Great thought. It’s the combination of them being so convinced of their superiority (and fooling many of us that it’s true) WHILE being emotionally incapable.

My spath’s daughter said, “he just doesn’t understand things the way most people do”. That alone would have been OK, if he didn’t LIE and DECEIVE and then PROJECT SUPERIORITY.

Duped !

Athena

A certain amount of self-centeredness is NECESSARY to survival. It is OK to want to take care of yourself. To put your interest before giving to others. If you don’t take care of yourself, like the stewardess says on a plane, if you are with a child and the oxygen mask falls down, put yours on first…so you CAN take care of the child.

Children are born having NEEDS and they put their own needs (naturally) first because they don’t know anything else. That is normal, natural self centeredness…i.e. narcissism is one way it can be termed, but that doesn’t mean anything “bad.” They do what ever they have to to get those needs met…cry, smile, goo, coo or throw a tantrum and that is what kids do until they learn empathy and caring for others, bonding to others..feeling good doing for others. Too much empathy or too little, either one is not a good thing in my opinion.