Psychopaths: perfectly suited for high finance

Why are we facing a world financial crisis? Perhaps because psychopaths are running the show. In a post on the website Reality Sandwich, author Jonathan Zap writes:

Most psychopaths are not violent criminals; they may be more likely to pursue white-collar crime, where the payoff is so much higher and the odds of detection so much lower.

Psychopaths are perfectly designed for success in many fields, especially business, law and politics. They have higher IQs on average than the general population; they are charming, charismatic and manipulative; they can be decisive and take risks without anxiety, and they are ruthless, cunning and coldly rational. Psychopaths often personify many of the traits that the human resource departments of many corporations look for in job candidates:  confidence, charisma, decisiveness, emotional detachment, coolness under fire and relentless drive.

In Part One of the article, the author gives a pretty good description of the psychopathic personality. In Part Two, he discusses examples of psychopathic behavior in business, referring to cases such as Enron and Bernie Madoff. He makes many valid points.

Read Foxes and Reptiles: Psychopathy and the financial meltdown, on RealitySandwich.com.

Link supplied by a Lovefraud reader.

44 Comments on "Psychopaths: perfectly suited for high finance"

1. Hens says:

peekhan or peecan I like em both ~ ! yay ~! JR and Carina won on DWS – ok pumpkin time for me..

2. KatyDid says:

sorry. hens. i bake lots of goodies but have never baked a pecan pie. i will say i make the BEST lemon merange pie ever. and the BEST chocolate cake. and the BEST tollhouse cookies. i am NOT making any of them this thanksgiving b/c i want to be able to eat a little desert and not be tempted to stuff my face with sugar… like i usually do.

3. ErinBrock says:

OMG….Peekhan pie is my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE! And its so damn easy to make……..I gotta pretend it’s hard, so I don’t make it!!!
    I also LOVE Bread pudden……..
    THANK GOD my oven is broken, so no baking over here this year! 🙂

I did buy myself a present though…..but it won’t get it hooked up in time for the holidays.
    When I moved, I had to sell my 48 inch Viking stove. It was a BEAST! I loved that stove! My rich boss gave it to me when they went on a trip to Italy one year…..she didn’t like the griddle, so she asked that I have that one removed and could have it, and replace it with the 48′ Viking with the grill instead….by the time she got home.
    I told her with a huge smile….I thought I could get that accomplished in the next month! 🙂
    My little house just couldn’t accomodate a stove that large….so with regret I sold it.
    My oven went out before I moved in here……and I looked on CL and last week was able to find and get down to buy in time……a 36′ professional Thermador with 6 burners with the hood.
    I’m excited to tear my kitchen apart and get it installed…..but, like all things……..it’ll have to wait a bit.
    My furnace went out tooo………so that’s first!

Katy…..if you and I lived together…..I’d be 2000 lbs fer sure!

OHHHHH! We’re on the way to Katy’s house for dessert! Yea, I think we’d all gain 50 pounds! LOL

Wow, EB what a score! I’ve been baking too, stuff to take to the encampment, and for the boys to eat when I come home every night…and 3 gallons of my special spiced cider! Yum!!!! So we will be taking off tomorrow morning to set up camp, but I’ll be home every night to take care of the dogs, ducks and piggies.

Well, you guys have a wonderful TG holiday and I’ll try to check in and see how you’re doing in the evenings when I get home—if I’m not too dead tired! (((hugs)))

5. KatyDid says:

EB,
    It was one of the few benefits to being married to my spath. He was a good eater. I got to have a slice and he took care of the rest.
    I really did like being a wife and rancher… really too bad about all the shite taht came with it though… and I’m not talking about what came from the cows.

6. skylar says:

Katy,
    mine is a pig too. Eating with him was like a race. If I didn’t finish my food at the same time as he did, he would reach over and start in on mine.

That didn’t last the whole 25 years though, because once he started poisoning me, he didn’t want my food anymore.

7. skylar says:

Katy,
    I should add that my comment about spath being a pig is not just an off-hand observation. His behavior is DIRECTLY due to his envy. He even envied my food on my plate. NOT KIDDING.

This is something I noticed from the very beginning. One day, I was eating a strawberry. A big red juicy strawberry. I walked into the laundry room, where he was working on a project with my half-eaten giant strawberry. He grabbed my wrist and directed my strawberry straight into his mouth.

Of course, I had laced it with my prescription sleeping pill. 🙂
    Within 20 minutes he was dozing. I never offered him the fruit, he took it against my will. But he had, previously, told me that he was having trouble sleeping. He was very concerned it seemed. Being the control freak that he is, he would never take any drugs….

When he awoke about 12 hours later (it was a strong med), he said, “I must’ve been really sick because I’m so sleepy.”
    “No honey, don’t worry, the strawberry was drugged.” I responded.
    “Oh, OK” he replied before drifting off to sleep again.

That’s where he got the idea to poison me. Tit for tat, I guess.
    sicko. My intent was never to hurt but only to help him.

Inadvertantly, I feel that he helped me too, by making me sick. I got off wheat, which is a poison to me. And the pain from the poison INCREASED my empathy for people who suffer.

The universe functions as it should, I guess.