Comparing stockbrokers and psychopaths

Dr. Robert Hare, the guru of psychopathy, has said that if he didn’t study psychopaths in prison, he’d look for them at the stock exchange. Read about new research from Switzerland actually compares stockbrokers and psychopaths.

Stockbrokers more competitive, willing to take risks than psychopaths: Study, on HuffingtonPost.com.

18 Comments on "Comparing stockbrokers and psychopaths"

1. KatyDid says:

Skylar,
    Yep. Knows the boundry of how to NOT get exposed with mask off/NOT go to jail. Easy for him to hide behind the shallow mask that everyone else has. For him, funerals are a social affair. Yep, he’s an spath but seems like your friendly local yokal, modest and humble. Was reported to have a heart of gold, but a light caress crumbles it into pebbles and rocks, sand and shite.

MOST people are okay with shallow, see no reason to develop their character – life is about gratification. Mighty few souls under the good end of the bell, reaping the contempt of the shallow. Yet in a disaster, WE are the ones expected to save everyone else.

2. Constantine says:

Dear BBE,

I have to agree with you on that one! As a mild “delinquent” myself (truancy, general mischief, etc.), it’s nice to know that I still have some hope! Of course, I like to think now that I was just a “spirited teen,” (who happened to hang around all the “bad kids” three or four grades above me) but who knows?

I’m also left handed, for that matter. So does this mean that from now on everyone is going to “gray rock” me?

More seriously, I’m not sure why they took the, “makes an ass of oneself while intoxicated” off of the Cleckley list. I think there’s something to be said for that one!

3. Hens says:

constantine – I have been gray rocked here a few times. I have to laugh at the things some folks have said that is a sure sign of a sociopath..dont worry your just a pet rock so far…

4. Constantine says:

Hens,

Haha, well, I’m glad to know that I haven’t been completely written off yet! But yes, I think that if a person is fundamentally honest, honorable and empathetic, that will save him from a multitude of “sins.” If you take everything else away, and just keep those, you will probably be OK in the long run.

By the way, I hope you’re feeling a little better over the loss of your Harley. (Incidentally, that’s my girlfriend’s cat’s name!)

5. Hens says:

I think we all have flaws, but it’s when we realize we do and try to improve, that makes us better people.
    I miss my Harley, I just wasnt ready for him to go, thanks for that…

6. behind_blue_eyes says:

Any list of traits is going to be imperfect and may contain behaviors that many non-disorded individuals exhibit.

Being ambidextrous is also associated with a variety of problems. Being such, I am not defensive, rather, curious. I am also prone to mood shifts and adventure seeking behaviors, but I am not sociopathic, bipolar nor borderline…

7. behind_blue_eyes says:

12. Ingratitude for any special considerations, kindness, and trust.

I find this particularly interesting and my x-spath showed no gratitude for anything “special” I did for him and was inappropriately hostile on several occasions, enough so that even I thought to myself that he had serious intimacy problems. However, I also countered this valid observation by thinking that perhaps I was being too intimate too soon.

Only now, being in the most positive mental state I have been in since meeting the x-spath, do I realize that nothing I did was inappropriate. In fact, of those whom I dated after the x-spath, every one would have reacted positively to what I did and would have had no issues or reaction except gratitude.

8. superkid10 says:

BBE

Is that the official checklist? It doesn’t strike me the same as the one I read a while back.

You know, there are things on checklists that take a while to see. It took me a long time to see how my spath thought he was so flipping superior to everybody else. It’s in this below-the-radar kind of way. Enough to make me vomit.

Superkid

9. behind_blue_eyes says:

Superkid;

Apparently Hare based his “20” point list on these. Personally, I would remove the last regarding lack of an apparent life plan, as again this focuses too much on underachievement perhaps allowing the highly functional sociopath to slip through the cracks.