By September 24, 2011 26 Comments Read More →

Murder trial tests battered woman defense

Barbara Sheehan, of Queens, New York, is on trial for shooting her husband, Raymond Sheehan, a former police officer and crime scene investigator. During hours of testimony, Barbara Sheehan described 20 years of abuse. Her son took the witness stand and backed up her claims.

Read Queens woman testifies she killer her husband in self-defense, on NYTimes.com.

Read Murder trial hinges on questions of domestic abuse, on NYTimes.com

Read Barbara Sheehan’s son testifies at secretary’s murder trial about discovering his father’s affair on NYDailyNews.com.

26 Comments on "Murder trial tests battered woman defense"

1. Stargazer says:

Louise, you would really be my twin if you liked The Human Centipede. The sequel just came out and I can’t wait to see it. This is probably the most disturbing movie of all time, but it’s also considered a black comedy. It has a cult following, and there is a lot of laughter in the theater at the midnight showing.

I received the DVD for my 50th birthday and had a showing with my friends. They all were nearly throwing up. But when I asked if they wanted to stop watching, they said NO! It’s that compelling – you have to watch to find out how it ends. The main character is about the most evil sociopath you can imagine. You are trying to imagine how the movie could end and if there could ever be a happy ending. There can’t and there isn’t. It will haunt you for a long time.

2. Stargazer says:

Okay, the hijack is in full force right now….**hangs head in shame**

3. Louise says:

Stargazer:

Oh, I want to see that movie! I seriously can’t believe I had not heard of it before, but I just looked it up online and I can’t wait…I know, I’m sick!! 🙂 I guess I’ll have to rent them…obviously they do not show these in my city. Not sure why…I live in a big enough city. Maybe I can check it out on the IFC channel on cable if it comes on there.

4. Stargazer says:

Louise, you have to see the first one before you see the sequel. Do you watch the trailer? It’s great if you happen to be on a diet because you probably won’t be able to eat for a few days after watching. lol

Too bad you don’t live in Denver. You could just come over and watch it.

5. Louise says:

Stargazer:

Yeah, that’s why I said I will need to rent them…probably both of them as I have not seen any sightings of the sequel showing in my city. I would love to be able to see it with you…too bad I am not there 🙁

I didn’t watch the trailer. I will do it here soon and report back!

6. Louise says:

Stargazer:

I watched both trailers. The first one was actually worse to me than the second one. I read that Tom Six is working on the third and final sequence and said it will make the second one look like a Disney movie! Wow!!

7. Stargazer says:

Whoa. I’m going to see the second one tomorrow. I’ll let you know how I liked it, but I’ll try not to spoil it for you. I hadn’t heard about the third one. I don’t even know if *I* have a strong enough stomach for that! I will say that the evil doctor did an incredible acting job. If it were a mainstream movie, he would have won an academy award easily. Let me know when you have seen the first one, so we can “discuss” it. I’m not around much, but I’ll look for you on here or send you my email via Donna. You can also download the movie on your computer. My friend in Jamaica did it. She’s the only other person I know who is into it.

8. Louise says:

Stargazer:

Oh, yeah, I could just download it, but I like seeing things on a bigger screen, but I might still do that. I will most likely rent the first one. I can’t wait…I’m a sicko! You can send your email via Donna if you want. I can’t wait to hear how you like the second one…thanks!