Florida sex offender wins custody of child

Among the many worries parents like me have is “What will happen to my child if I die?” For that reason, I take no risks with my personal safety. I don’t ride motorcycles, always wear my seat belt in the car, and do everything I can to stay safe.

What I consider to be my worst nightmare happened to Trista Crews, mother of Miranda Wilkerson. Trista was married to registered sex offender Donald Coleman though Coleman’s offence was impregnating Crews when she was 14. In the style of Mary Kay Letourneau he married the girl when he got out of prison and fathered two more children.

The news hasn’t said much about those two who are also now orphans because Trista died a month after her daughter, Miranda Wilkerson, was born. At the time, she was married to Donald Coleman, but had filed for divorce. Because Coleman had been married to Trista he was just awarded custody of Miranda. It is also alleged that Miranda isn’t even the biologic child of Coleman. According to news reports, the couple had separated but Trista could not afford an attorney because she was supporting three children by herself.

Miranda has never lived with Coleman and has been raised by her grandparents. Coleman now lives in Georgia and reportedly also has a history of domestic violence and aggravated assault. To all those who say that the fact Donald later married Trista indicates “he took responsibility.” I say maybe but once sociopaths get their talons around a victim they often do not let go.

They also do not act based on the interests of anyone other than themselves. It sounds like Trista’s tragic life ended even more tragically and the tragedy continues to the next generation. Sounds also a bit like the life of Nicole Brown who was murdered during an abusive marriage to OJ Simpson. Although it was alleged that Simpson killed Brown, he was later awarded custody of the children.

The good news is that Florida law maker Janet Adkins has taken notice, and is considering new legislation. Not wanting to miss an opportunity to move for change, I did send her a copy of my book and wrote her on behalf of all the parents and grandparents who are fighting to protect their children.

17 Comments on "Florida sex offender wins custody of child"

1. Jen says:

Coping,
    You can run an ad in the legal section of your major newspaper, stating your intent to move. Just give your lawyer a couple of the clipping from when it was run. Most times, they require you run the ad for 45 days, though. The good thing is, most people do not read the legals, and there are a ton of ads in there!
    Move as fast as you can, and move far away!
    I do know that New Mexico is a horrible state for giving some of the worst parents custody. It is almost like they pride themselves on not letting the good parent have any rights. Hell, the more criminal activity you have on your record, the more likely it is that you will get custody. It is so sick!
    Oregon is terrible for that crap, too.
    Arizona is not so. They seem to be a lot more protective and caring towards the needs of the child and not the parents.
    I have had to move a lot in order to hide my location from my stalker (started stalking me 10! years ago!), and I just moved to a new state to protect my unborn baby. My last and first boyfriend since my divorce turned out to be a P, and I blindly stayed with him for a year and a 1/2. I had been diagnosed with infertility, so this whole pregnancy thing is a shock! I am excited about the baby, but I was terrified to think of her around him or his scary family! So, I quietly packed up everything and moved myself and my kids far away. Sneaking away wasn’t that hard as I had threatened him with the police if he came by my house again, and he thinks I had a miscarriage. I really hate lying and it makes to sick to think that I did lie about that, but I know it was the right thing to do. It is not about me. My son and my mom really pushed me to tell him this. My says asked me how long would it take before they killed the baby if he were to see her. Okay, that did it, and I told him I was no longer pregnant.
    Sorry, I am rambling. I have a lot of stress that has been unwinding in me. lol.
    Point is, run as fast as you can, while you still can! Hugs and stay strong!
    Jen

2. candy says:

Coping – just a thought – but when you ‘contact’ him be sure you have ALREADY made yourself scarce where he cannot find you. That does not mean you have to go out of state but ‘hide’.

3. coping says:

Candy- Yes I agree and am working on my gameplan…:)

Jen- Congrats on the baby. I know how hard and scary it must be for you. I see strength in you…to deal with the pregnancy while dealing with the spath and other children to boot. Wow!!
    Do NOT feel guilty or bad. I wish I would have done the exact same thing. Unfortuantely despite the red flags..LOL BIG RED ROAD BLOCKS… I was still believing in the illusion.
    Take good care of yourself.

4. DUPED_IN_SOCAL says:

haha coping: I like what you said: “BIG RED ROAD BLOCKS”; yah, I am sure we all have been THERE. I think “I” even had the flashing lights and buzzers. šŸ™‚

The illusion is so hard to let go because they got down, right into the heart of us good people, and planted those seeds – those horrible things we think about ourselves and the ‘flicker movie’ existence. THEY did that to us. Them and their manipulations.

It will go by the wayside, sooner or later and I can’t say that I am going to be sorry nor sad to see this completely OUT of my life and I have been working on it very hard. I am going on two years now, that I have ACTIVELY been trying to get rid of it.

I meant it: spaths are like a bad case of herpes: once you get them, it never quite goes away. šŸ˜‰

Hang in there…you guys are doing awesome!!!!
    Welcome to a new life without the spath!

Duped

5. bird says:

This article is typical of the courts and frankly it makes me mad. I have done many things to protect little birdie in the event of my death. The biggest one is in my will i wrote that in the event that the spath goes for custody then little birdie will not receive any inheritance until he is 21. I am making sure there is no financial reward for going for custody. My named custodian will be the conservator and will have access to money to raise birdie. In addition to naming it in the will, I have also told my named conservator that no money goes to the spath under any circumstance and I told them the spath will lie for it. I have other plans as well, but that is my security plan after I die and it needs to remain top secret:)

Dear Bird,

I’m SO GLAD to see you back here! And so glad that Baby Birdie is protected in the event of your death, which hopefully won’t be for a VERY long time, but it is GOOD that you are thinking of all options!

Baby Birdie must be a biggggg boy by now! I hope he and you are doing well! I think about you both and pray for your safety and happiness! ((((hugs))))

7. Louise says:

Did you change your name again??