Bernie Madoff asks, ‘Am I a sociopath?’

New York Magazine scored an interview with Bernie Madoff, who talked to a reporter from federal prison.

Read Am I a sociopath? on NYMag.com.

Here’s the comment that I posted about the story:

To answer the question in the article’s headline, “Am I a sociopath?,” yes, he is.

I almost choked at the quote that Madoff’s therapist said he wasn’t a sociopath, he had morals. There are only two explanations for this statement. Either Madoff was lying, and the therapist never said it, or the therapist is clueless. Both explanations are highly possible.

Nearly 2,400 people have contacted my Lovefraud website to tell me their stories of being conned by sociopaths. The stories are just like this one – the only difference is the scale of the swindle.

Lying, manipulation, blaming others – these are all classic signs or sociopathic behavior. And his tears? Most sociopaths are great at turning on the faucets when they want to. They’re not tears of remorse. They’re tears of getting caught.

36 Comments on "Bernie Madoff asks, ‘Am I a sociopath?’"

1. Hopeforjoy says:

Oxy,

You always brighten my spirits! Super big girlfriend hug to you!

He tried to pull some spathy stuff at the bank today, I said I’ll have to call my lawyer and make sure it’s ok to do that transaction. Then he says, oh, just forget it. Then it’s something else (and he’s quick about it), again, I’ll call my lawyer because I don’t believe it’s in our mediation agreement. Then he drops it. Sheeesh.

We opened a joint account for the kids’ expenses and he said something to the effect that it was only going to be temporary. Not sure what he meant. Hopefully it’s not about moving to Costa Rica or Belize because he was looking at property on the internet. I was thinking he’d take the money and run and I haven’t let him have access to two bank accounts. (since he never went to the bank to sign the slips when I told him to, it’s his fault) He has asked for access many times and in mediation the mediator told him it wasn’t necessary. Spath said he didn’t trust me with the money and the mediator told him that I wouldn’t do anything with it because I agreed not to.

At the bank again today he told the teller to get the forms and he will sign them since we’re here. How many times does he have to try this stuff? Once the assets are divided, he can have his freaking half.

In mediation he acted like he can’t wait to get away from me and then I see him when dropping off son and he wants a hug and says he misses me and doesn’t like it here (his new place). He also told the mediator that he was forced to move, was told that he had to get out and played the victim. The mediator told me in private that he told spath to stop acting like a victim.

Anyway, I’m going on and on. I commented on a different thread about spaths seemingly having a split personality, I see it all the time.

Thanks Oxy, for everything and so much more. I have healed so much by the goodness of the people here on Lovefraud and especially from your frank, kind, support. TOWANDA!

2. anitasee says:

In many ways this speaks to the great “awakening”, political and spiritual, that we seem to be seeing the beginning of.

Well, at least with Bernie in jail that is one down and what, about 240 million to go? But hey, it’s a start.

Behind Blue Eyes, good for you for standing up like that. Ever since the regulating agencies have been co-opted by big biz, it has been a free for all out there, in terms of corruption. Hope you make ’em pay and that you are able to enjoy life with a nice big settlement.

Peace, A

3. behind_blue_eyes says:

anitasee;

“Love the idea of a sister site for stories of the “successful” spaths. If we could only educate enough around this issue, they would not be kings, or “masters of the universe”..we would not treat them with respect on national television. We would shun them and cut off their supply.”

One thing we can do is mention names with the word “sociopath” and web crawlers will paick them up.

For example, Goggle Charlie Sheen and sociopath gets 260,000 hits. Lance Armstrong sociopath, 97,600 hits.

Regarding Lance Amstrong, look at his mask’s effectiveness, given that I am certain Lance Amstrong is a sociopath, whilst Charlie Sheen may *only* be a major league (no pun) jerk.

With Newt Gingrich, we may soon have another sociopath running for President.

Wherever else you post, keep up the name association with sociopath!

4. behind_blue_eyes says:

“Behind Blue Eyes, good for you for standing up like that. Ever since the regulating agencies have been co-opted by big biz, it has been a free for all out there, in terms of corruption. Hope you make ‘em pay and that you are able to enjoy life with a nice big settlement.”

anitasee;

I am actually not seeking something in settlement that I could retire on. My goal really is to first get what they owe given there were unpaid bonuses and their retaliations against me will effect future earnings capacity. Also, I am looking for back pay effective from the day I was illegally terminated until the day of the mediation hearing, including bonuses which to be honest on a yearly basis are not enormous by Wall Street standards. No damages, pain and suffering or punative award is sought.

The sum total is not over a million in demand, and that will most likely get negotiated down a bit more. I do know they are looking to off-load some of the award to an insurance carrier so there is an appearence that they are sincerely looking to put this behind them.

I hope whatever I get is enough to make them think twice about what they did and how they affect peoples lives.

5. behind_blue_eyes says:

Here is a snippet of how evil Wall Street can be.

First, my group of roughly 100 employees was terminated just prior to Christmas, between a large “voluntary” layoff in the preceeding summer and before another much larger non-voluntary layoff the following May. My layoff was at a time when the company was not under any large pressures as this was before the big crash.

Of the 100 employees, 80 were over 40 at the time. Workforce demographics were such 50/50 right around the age of 40, so that my layoff shows a clear bias for age.

Of the 20 under 40, myself included, at least two where known to have serious health problems, my cardiac problems and a women under treatment for cancer.

We were all run of the mill home office employees, not traders or senior managers. Yes, we all made a good living but we were all far from millionaires.

My former employer pays bonuses in February. By terminating my group just before Christmas, they saved themselves having to pay that bonus.

Thus, for most of this group, their “severence” was merely what they would have recieved in a bonus about 6 weeks later. Effectively, those terminated the following May found themselves in a much better financial position, having recieved their bonus in February plus a severence in May.

My former employer is a large, non-American, multinational corporation employing over 50,000 inndividuals world-wide. You all know who they are because they have been at the center of every Financial Services industry scandal since World War 2.

The fact that such a deep-pocketed company would terminate just 100 individuals right before Christmas just to save paying what to them was a meager amount in bonuses six weeks later shows not only that they are heartless, but act like they can do anything they want with impunity.

Part of my strong evidence against them is a legally made recording of a conversation I had with my former manager right after I was terminated.

In that conversation, he told me that prior to my termination he was approached by senior management to give me a poor review because I had just returned from short-term disability and they needed something to cover their tracks. He refused.

6. Peter Madoff, Bernie Madoff’s brother, goes to jail too. Read:

Peter Madoff is sentenced to 10 years for his role in fraud, on NYTimes.com.

Link supplied by a Lovefraud reader.

I knew that at that level of a swindle there must have been MANY others who wer e”in the know” on it. There is NO way one man could have managed to keep so many secrets. IMPOSSIBLE.

Glad that another one went down. Hope this is not the last of them to be brought to justice.

8. Truthspeak says:

Donna, thank you for posting the update on Peter Madoff. UGH.

OxD, absolutely there is a literal HERD of enablers and fence-sitters in such a scam as this. When someone “knows” or even suspects that someone is doing something that is not only “wrong,” but illegal, and they sit the fence or enable these types of crimes to be committed, THEY are just as culpable for not Doing Something. I think the legal term is “Accessory.”

Brightest blessings

9. Truthspeak says:

Strict aside and Off-Topic: Oh, MY GOD…….I would hate to be a female employee in Iowa….

A dental hygenist was “fired” for being “irresistable” to her employer of 10 years – she was a “threat” to his marriage and didn’t even know this. The Supreme Court ruled that it was perfectly LEGAL for this dentist to preserve his marriage by firing his hygenist of 10 years, and this puts a WHOLE new spin on it being a “Man’s World.”

I almost blew coffee out of my nostrils when this aired on the news, this morning. Just thought I’d share…..

Brightest blessings