Christopher Coleman charged with strangling his family

A Lovefraud reader alerted us to news from Waterloo, Illinois—the small town that was the scene of a gruesome murder on May 5, 2009. Sheri Coleman and her two sons, Garrett, 11, and Gavin, 9, were found strangled in their beds. Yesterday, Christopher Coleman, Sheri’s husband and father of the two boys, was ordered to stand trial on first-degree murder charges.

Coverage of the case in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reveals that:

• Chris Coleman himself called his neighbor, a police officer, for a “welfare check” on his family. That’s when the bodies were discovered.

• Coleman claimed everyone was alive when he left to go to a gym at 5:43 a.m. An expert says the family was probably killed between 11 p.m. and 3 a.m.

• Obscenities were spray-painted on the sheets covering the boys and on the walls. There were also other words—one of them was “punished.”

• Previously, threatening notes had been received by the family. One of them was sent from Coleman’s work computer.

• Coleman was having an affair with a Florida woman who was a former hostess at a gentlemen’s club. They had a joint credit card and met when Coleman traveled for his job as a security manager with Joyce Meyer Ministries.

• The Colemans took out a mortgage on their home for $202,269 in 2005. On October 6, 2008—as the economy was mired in recession—they refinanced for $230,850. At that time, Sheri signed a quit claim deed for the home so that it solely belonged to her husband.

Lovefraud will be keeping an eye on the case. Media coverage hasn’t indicated much about Christopher Coleman’s demeanor. I’m anxious to see it.

Posted in: Cases, Donna Andersen

51 Comments on "Christopher Coleman charged with strangling his family"

1. OxDrover says:

Glinda,

I used t o have a tee shirt that showed two buzzards sitting on a limb. one said to the other “Patience my arse, I want to kill something!” LOL ROTFLMAO Well, we have now had that come true in my neighborhood, a NEW species of PSYCHOPATHIC buzzard has moved into our area. It watches and if it sees a cow or mare or goat lying down having a baby, it will get around behind her and peck the eyes out and kill the baby before it is completely born. YUK! fortunately this kind of psychopathic buzzard is not common here yet, but apparently they are growing in numbers. difficult to shoot too.

I won’t go down without a fight either, but will be PRO-ACTIVE in defending myself.

If it is legal in your area, you might want to take a concealed hand gun course and get a license to carry. Check out your local laws. I would not live in an area where I could not have a concealed carry permit, and limit my travel in areas that prohibit “carrying.”

2. justabouthealed says:

If you carry a weapon, BE SURE you have been trained in weapons retention. Otherwise you may be carrying the gun that will be used on you.

3. OxDrover says:

JAH and Glinda, in order to GET a concealed permit (if one is legal in your area) you must go through a 2 day training on gun use AND legal issues, but I also suggest additional training by a professional or a very safety conscious and well experienced person. I grew up with guns and training, so I know and have known HOW to use one since I was a kid, as have my sons. You also need to make sure you are WILLING to USE it and not “second guess” yourself or JAH is right.

People who have not become VERY familiar with their hand gun or are not TOTALLY sure they would use it, should not carry.

4. justabouthealed says:

Deputies here go through quite a course JUST in how to hang on to your weapon. so it is more than just the will to use or comfort with it, but how NOT to be disarmed.

Another part of the training is every time you see a clock, say to yourself “I will survive”….that helps build up your automatic “fight” response, so you never give up hope, no matter what dire situation you find yourself in. They have an inspirational film about a female deputy whose weapon was taken from her, and she was shot several times, but she still managed to calmly radio for help, describe where she had been taken and did survive.

5. Glinda says:

I live in IL- no conceal and carry but I do have my license to buy one. I have a little time. (And I don’t want a gun in the house with a small child- locked up or not. He’ll be 8 when I will need to have one handy.) Besides, the xS is REALLY obnoxious so I’m really hopeful he won’t be walking out of prison in 2014. That would make things SOOO much simpler and would prevent the inevitable crimes he will commit once he gets out.

I got familiar with the difference between feeling hunted and helpless and becoming the hunter. The darkness isn’t so scary when you learn to walk in the shadows, when you need to. By 2014, I plan to be more like Linda Hamilton’s character Sarah in Terminator 2 than Terminator 1….lol.

Love the buzzard tshirt!

6. Tilly says:

Oxy:
    Some people yearn to win lotto or desire to meet the “love of their life” or would give anything to lose a stone in weight, or get a new car or have a holiday.. me?
    All I want ( apart from my middle son to not turn out to be a P and my youngest one to stay safe from his) is to be able to know how to use a gun properly for self protection and be able to carry one. I’m serious.